Friday, April 24, 2009

Jude's first baseball game

Last Thursday night the Crossings staff attended a Tennessee Smokies game.

My all-time favorite player (Ryne Sandberg) from my all-time favorite team (Chicago Cubs) is now the Smokies' manager. The weather was absolutely perfect, the Smokies came from behind to win and we sat in the front row on the third base line (which means we were a mere 10 feet from Sandberg while the Smokies were at bat).

So all in all, it was a fantastic night.

But the best part of the night, the part that had me in eager anticipation all week long, was that this was Jude's first baseball game. Now, I realize that he is only 7 1/2 months old and will retain no memory of this event as he gets older. But it is a pretty stinking cool experience, as a father, to take your son to his first baseball game.

I remember my first Cubs game. I was 5 or 6. Ryne Sandberg was on the field for that game, too.

Jude made it through all 9 innings; an impressive feat, considering the game started past his regular bedtime. He was in a good mood all night and we had an absolute blast as a family.

Here's to many, many more innings together, son.










9 comments:

greg said...

before I start: my verification word was "Nesters".

Bill,

That is just awesome... I know Jude's still a little guy but this stuff just gets better and better. I took Connor to the Orange and White game with my dad and it was just a great experience. When I was little I went to the games with my dad and papaw so to take Connor with my dad was pretty special.

He looks like he was kind of into the game a little bit... lots of new things to see. He's a handsome little guy.

True story: At the orange and white game, all we could really do to keep Connor entertained was feed him. He ate a huge hot dog, m&ms, cracker jacks, and also drank a coke. On the way home, he said he had a bellyache. When we pulled in the driveway he jumped out of the car and said he had to use the bathroom... on the way to the bathroom, he crapped his pants.

Bowels: fail.
Smoky Dog: win.

Anonymous said...

Hey wait, I thought Ken Griffey Jr. was your favorite baseball player!?

michaelCODY said...

I'm looking forward to taking Buster to his first Baptism next month so that he can enjoy what we as a Christian Community do to grow together in our Relationship with Christ and maybe, he will think that's pretty cool, (he can remember things now because he is a year old now) and maybe he'll be proud to have a cool, God-loving, proud-to-express-it-father.

bill said...

Ryne was my favorite player FROM MY FAVORITE TEAM. It said it right there in first paragraph.

Jeff, I assuming that was you. You know Griffey was the man. Still is. The best non-juiced player of his era...hands down.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I misread that. Yeah, Griffey is the man.

Jeff

Mom said...

I absolutely loved the pictures of your Wolf Pack and of the newest Cubs fan. This will be one of many many memorable experiences you will have as Jude's Dad !

Erin Edelen said...

Hey now, this is Jude's second game. Remember your birthday last year? Well, first game out of mama's belly.

Anonymous said...

My word was mumprofi, I think it has something to do with either pirates or pianists.

It looks like in the 2nd picture, Jude is giving the "hit and run" signal ... did it work?

I saw Junior when he played for the Vermont Mariners (AAA in Burlington, VT) ... good times, good times.

Melissa Wisley said...

Yea, that's what I like to see. Another cubs fan added to our population. Way to go Jude!