Friday, November 24, 2006

this land is my land...


Betsy and I went with some friends to Virginia for Thanksgiving. Yesterday we did nothing but a) eat, b) watch football, c) sleep and d) various combinations of all of the above.

To work off some of the turkey, we spent today walking around historic Yorktown. Lots of history, lots of cool buildings, lots of canons. It was very cool.

Betsy was a little annoyed, however, because being in important and historic places gets me all wistful and stuff. I start saying things like, "Hmm. This soil is moist. Moist with the blood of ten thousand revolutionaries slain for the freedom of our children." That really is a direct quote of mine from today.

One time I got lost in the moment, looking out to shore, and when asked what I was thinking, all I could say was, "This is what its all about. You know? Our forefathers. Our heritage."

I don't even know what that means.

This is what Betsy has to put up with, though. I'm sure her eyes are sore from rolling them all day long. But she never lets me see her do it. Yet another reason why I love her.

Tomorrow we are going to Colonial Williamsburg and I can't wait. Pray for her.

6 comments:

The Adkins Family said...

And I guess the Hokey Pokey doesn't mean anything to you. Well you can think whatever you want to Bill, but the rest of us all know what it's REALLY all about.

The Anonymous Human said...

You don't even know man....you don't even know!

Anonymous said...

i loved it too. we need to buy some history books:)

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have been there. We would have really run those jokes in the ground. That is what we do. Terrorists suck, helpless victims rule! I like the quote about the moist soil. Question though, did you actually say relvolutionaries or is that a typo? I hate people who point out typos. Now I'm that guy. I hate me. Did you see the movie Bobby is coming out? A little more recent history, but great stuff. By the way, I have a ton of books on the Kennedy's if you are looking for suggestions.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

i've been where you are a couple times in the past. i totally love it. i envy you. hope you had a great time.

Bethany Zumba said...

those friends have names. and i'm sorry you were so hungry in Williamsburg.my favorite part = screaming bulls.