Wednesday, September 20, 2006

o blessed fount

(click here to listen or download)

O blessed Fount of goodness and light
O blessed Sovereign, just and so right
O blessed Lord, reign over this life
O blessed God, O blessed King, O blessed Christ

Your mercy, like dew
falls fresh and new every morn
The sun, like Your grace
shines forth its rays, bright and warm

So my heart blooms and opens to You

O blessed Fount of goodness and light
O blessed Sovereign, just and so right
O blessed Lord, reign over this life
O blessed God, O blessed King, O blessed Christ


God, we seek Thee
for we need Thee
because in Thee
is all life and being

O blessed Fount of goodness and light
O blessed Sovereign, just and so right
O blessed Lord, reign over this life
O blessed God, O blessed King, O blessed Christ

Most songs have stories that run deeper than the lyrics and melody. Stories of the inspiration that gave life to the song. I find it important that we share those stories, which is one reason I created this blog.

I wrote this song last March. I had been wanting to write a song that was simple in thought, but rich in poetry (at least by my standards and abilities). I was reading A.W. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy, which is quite heavy in its theology. And because of that, the last few songs I had written were very wordy and informative. They had decent melodies and they even rhymed. But they lacked the rhythm and imagery that makes poetry...poetry.

Well, one morning while walking to my car, I noticed my shoes were soaked. Now, my shoes getting wet or dirty is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why. But its true. After my initial rage cooled down, I began to wonder to myself, "what in the heck is up with dew." All day long, I was either sitting at my desk or driving my car, off in my own little world thinking, "It is never there when I get home at night. Yet it is always there when leave in the morning. It doesn't come from rain or snow or sleet or hail...yet it has to be some form of precipitation."

That night, my wife had just gone to bed and I was sitting on the couch still pondering the mystery that is dew. By this point I had moved away from trying to understand the "what" of dew and was now contemplating the "why" of dew. See, we get a lot it here in East Tennessee. And I think that is a big reason why everything is so green and lush. That morning dew, even though it often angers me by getting my shoes wet, is vital to the beauty and abundance of the natural life here in Knoxville. I soon made the leap over to what is vital to the beauty and abundance of our spiritual lives, grabbed my guitar and began writing this song.

It is a simple song of praise to our good and Sovereign God.

No comments: