Sunday, February 18, 2007

bridge to terabithia


Last night, my wife and I saw the movie Bridge to Terabithia. I honestly had no desire at all to see it. But Betsy really wanted to and I have to say…I’m glad she dragged me along. It is a great story.

I want to share with you one quote from the movie…

Leslie asks Jesse if he wants to play. He says that he can’t because he has to go to church with his family. She then asks if she can come with them to church. He says yes, but tells her that she won’t like it.

On the way home from church, Leslie, having never heard it before, talks about how interesting the story of Jesus is and asks Jesse if he believes its true. He responds by shrugging and saying, “It is in the Bible.

Leslie looks at him and says, “You have to believe it, but you hate it. I don’t have to believe it, and I think its beautiful.

Isn't that a great quote?!

It nearly knocked me out my seat when I heard it. This isn’t a “Christian” movie, but that is one of best sermons I have heard in a long time.

“You have to believe it, but you hate it. I don’t have to believe it, and I think its beautiful.”

What if we stopped telling people that they have to believe everything in the Bible…and instead showed them how beautiful the story is?

What if we freed them from the chains of “have to” and allowed them the chance to “want to”?

What if people stopped asking, "But what if its not true..." And started asking, "But what if it is?"

What if...a story that was written for children could teach us adults something of the beauty and freedom of our own faith?

What if...

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Everybody should read the book too!!!

Austin said...

Actually, the book was written by a Christian, so in that sense you might call it a Christian movie. Also, you might like to know that the actress who plays Leslie (AnnaSophia Robb) is also a Christian.

Anyway, I found this post by googling something about the movie, and after reading it, I couldn't agree with you more about how great that quote is. I also read an interview with the author, who says that the gospel is supposed to be Good News, not Bad News, which is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the movie. So great post.

bill said...

thanks austin.

yeah, i knew the author was a christian, i didn't realize the actress was. i guess i just meant that the movie wasn't made by "christian" movie makers.

well, thanks for stopping by. i appreciate your insight.