Friday, October 06, 2006

time i have...its patience i lack

This week...

Oh, this week...

How can I explain what this week has been like for me? Hmm. Well, if it were possible...I'd reach through your computer screen right now and sucker punch you square in the gut. That'd be a start.

Let's see:

Car breaks down. Check.
No internet connection. Check.
No cable. Check.
Lose my cell phone. Check.
Betsy comes to her senses and leaves me. Che...wait. No. At least, not yet.

Well, outside of that last one (fingers crossed) all of those have taken place this week. By the way, I'm not even mentioning moving and changing jobs...both of which also happened this week.

So...the first three items on my to do list Monday morning were: 1) get the car towed to the mechanics, 2) call computer services and get our internet up and running, and 3) have Comcast come and hook-up our cable. And after those three, I had multiple other tasks that I needed to get done this week...all of which depended on at least one of those first three items being taken care of.

Very, very LONG story short: after three days in a row of waiting...quite impatiently, today we finally got our internet and cable hooked-up. And after being stood-up by the tow truck people again yesterday, I borrowed a truck, rented a tow dolly and towed my car to the mechanic myself. Granted even that involved (and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest) an hour and a half of waiting at U-HAUL which included listening to a man who barely speaks English try to rent a truck from a man who I'm guessing can barely spell "English"...AND getting to watch an idiot try and unscrew a bolt from a trailer hitch using a blow-torch.

I wish that I was kidding.

Apparently, the first three items on God's to do list for me this week were: 1) wait, 2) wait, and 3) wait. And I'm sure there is supposed to be a lesson there. He was probably trying to teach me patience or something. But all I've really learned is how to cuss soft enough for my Bible College neighbors not to hear, but loud enough for it to still feel good. That...and to never, EVER go back to the Chapman Highway U-HAUL ever again. Seriously, I think the guy with the blow torch was drunk.

Here is the thing, though. A couple weeks ago, Mark...lead guy for our church plant...was having a horrible week. He really felt attacked by Satan. As though Satan was trying to distract him from Crossings and God's call on his life.

After he had told me about everything that had happened to him (it involved things like car accidents and snakes and Comcast Customer Service people), I asked God, "Why is Satan attacking him and not me? Am I not a threat to him as a part of this church plant too? Am I not stepping out in faith far enough? Am I not acting as a part of Your will?"

I wondered aloud to God why Satan was ignoring me.

Oops.

I guess that prayer was answered. And now, here I am blogging at 3:30 in the morning about a week that (I believe) was literally from Hell.

So, moral of the story: be careful what you pray for. And Comcast and U-HAUL are the tools of Satan. The end.

7 comments:

bill said...

can't leave the house and go to the computer lab when comcast, and the towing company and computer services all give four hour windows of when they are coming. leaves pretty much just one option...wait. which i'm bad at.

Anonymous said...

"watch what you pray for"! Several years ago at my Bible Study I would wonder at the many problems and the troubles that my friends asked prayers for. My life seemed pretty simple and "care-free". I wondered why God didn't give me many "big" things to carry on my shoulders or to pray for. Then......I lost my hearing. (Big thing!!!) My prayers then became...."Let me please hear again." And in His own way, He did let me hear again. And not only do I hear with a cochlear implant. I hear with my heart!

Anonymous said...

Is it Mike?

Anonymous said...

Is it Mom?

Anonymous said...

It's not my Mom.

Anonymous said...

It's not my mom, either.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, it is Sue. Sue Stokes...