Wednesday, July 26, 2006

jesus today


I really know nothing about Robert Smigel, except that he creates sarcastically pointed and irreverent cartoons that air on Saturday Night Live each week in a segment titled "TV Funhouse". My wife tells me that they are also horribly offensive cartoons. But, I guess I'm usually laughing too hard to notice that.

Every once in a while, though, Smigel writes a cartoon that has a bit of heart behind its sarcasm. Jesus Today originally aired on SNL in December '97. It shows Jesus responding to the commercialization of Christmas by Christian Broadcasting. I remember seeing it back then and thinking that it was amazing. I've seen it a few times since then (usually during reruns on E!) and it gets me every time.

Again, I don't know a whole lot about Robert Smigel. But it seems to me that he has figured something out about the heart of Jesus that the guys who get paid to talk about Him on TV still never have.

(click the picture to watch the video)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested